Friday, October 28, 2005

Duty Story #440

Writing this is a catharsis for me, it’s nice to know that people read. I was on call last night, but this is not a duty post about crazy stories, but about the two people that came in to get guest passes, they were so polite, there was no tossing ID’s in my direction, they knew who their guests were. As well I had someone come to me after the office hours were closed. Personally I don’t mind at all getting a guest pass for someone after hours, there are enough reasons for people to hate the office that I don’t need to include myself on that list. So in the future you find yourself at 12:30AM and need a guest pass, give me a ring. I’ll hook you up.

This made me wonder why I do this and some on the staff don’t. I think that I have a deep desire to be liked by people, it’s not that I compromise my personal morals for them, but I guess you could say that I compromise the morals of the office. The same is true when doing other staff members favors. Those that helped me out last night when I needed to duck out for rehearsal know that I am forever indebted to them and that I will take their concerns over mine when the time arises. I’ll take their office hours for a day, buy them dinner/drinks, that’s the kind of guy that I am.

What bothers me is that this spirit is not omnipresent on the staff. There are RA’s that refuse to come down after hours to make a pass, those that scold when it is obvious that someone is getting a pass for a friend’s friend, those that won’t switch call because they have that day open, and want to keep it open for “shit’s sake.” The problem is that those are the individuals that make my job hard, sometimes downright scary.

My worst fear in RA world is that one of the residents is going to have a serious problem and not approach their RA about it in fear of getting in trouble. The most harrowing experiences that I have dealt with involved residents that have consumed way too much and have passed out beyond consciousness. If their friends had not felt comfortable coming to RA, realizing that they are over their head, I can honestly say that they would have died. No one wants that on thier conscience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home