Sunday, November 13, 2005

Coney Island

So on top of rehearsals, finishing my Senior Piece, producing commercials with my roommate, babysitting for some of the cutest kids on the Upper West Side. I found some time to get out to what is perhaps the creepiest place in New York: Coney Island. I will try to leave a short description of each photo.

There would have to be the requisite fresco tag-art with any Coney Island photo set. I like this shot because of the complexities and the meta-aspects of the face. The child's face morphing into the adult themes contrast the ironies of an adult theme park. Theme parks are marketed towards children, yet in Coney Island's case it seems to be an adult playground.

Ferris Wheels are fantastic. Like clowns individuals exhibit certain paranoia around the rides. They are kid friendly and a classical Hollywood symbol for romance. Something about a Ferris wheel without chairs on it.


These two images go together. The park is falling apart and some of the buildings are condemned. The lower image shows how the signs and beckoning calls are still asking you to enter the broken shattered building. It may be elementary and cliche, but I kind of like the irony...


The image about the spiritual reader hut was with a set of seven other black and white pencil painting on the wall. Again with the irony... But the second picture had me laughing out loud. "Hey Joey!" let's go to a clam bar. Again is this an adult playground? or for kids. I just have images of the 70s and 80s of young fathers leaving their kids to ride the rickety rides being at the mercy of the Carneys'. While they themselves slink off to the Boardwalk to have some brews and cheap clams and oysters.

Well there is a beach, and we are magically transported to the south shores of Belize getting ready to go snorkeling. Or the Pacific shore of Costa Rica getting ready to zip into the johnny suit and go surfing. But wait there must be a punchline...

Ah and there it is. The fake palm tree. I thought they were only in Vegas. I love this shot, it turned out so well if I do so say myself. But it kind of summed up the whole experience, there is something that is really beautiful about such a surreal experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home