Sunday, August 28, 2005

Done with training

This was something special. I want to keep rants about my job as minimal as possible since a number of my readers are former residents. But there are some things that just have to be expressed. Working this job is hard, it is harder than anything I have done, and I have worked at a lot of different places. It asks of me emotional investment, it requires me to be myself to strangers and to put myself on the line for an entity, that, let's face it, Fordham students love to hate. The ORL here is villified to the point where on some nights I fear that it makes my job more difficult than is safe.

An Example: student X hates his RA because he heard that the ORL is a big evil beaurocracy and that there are all sorts of stupid rules that he has to follow, and that all they do is keep him from having sex (between the hours of 330am and 6am only), and that our sole purpose is to keep undergrads from having guests of the opposite sex. OK, so this is the mindset of Student x and now he comes home to find his room mate passed out on the floor because he drank 8 martinis in 2 hours and he can't wake him up. He is now faced with the choice, do I let him sleep it off or do I go get some help. His animus towards the ORL is manifest in the fear that they are just going to get him and his room mate in trouble and that there is no way that they are going to help in a way that suits him. So he decides to let the room mate sleep it off. In the middle of the night the room mate aspirates, suffocates himself, and dies. So my job is to make sure that whatever the office is doing, I make sure that my residents are confortable coming to me in that situation, and that they know that I will be there for them if need be. But in all honesty, the combination of Security and Student Affairs makes my job really really difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home