Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Back From Home

My girlfriend’s college graduation brought me back home this weekend. I just got back from a red-eye, so I am rather groggy. I just got done with my performance and art final which was rather interesting. But back to Laramie, this year Fordham put on The Laramie Project and did a rather fine job. I found it rather ironic that Tectonic Theatre Project is a group of New Yorkers that went to Laramie, Wyoming to explore, and here Fordham’s New Yorkers were repeating the same experiment. To an extent. My opinion is biased, I have seen the professional production, I saw the premeiere in Laramie and in Denver. I know several characters in the production, and was actually at a choir concert where Matthew Shepard was as well. It was a personal experience for me. But, sometimes I find that the actors here in the program treat everyone that they consider to be uneducated with a southern, country accent. It isn’t right and it isn’t accurate. News organizations send their anchors to Wyoming and Colorado to learn diction-free English; we have no accents whatsoever. It was incredibly annoying to hear these two actresses carry on in a southern drawl. I felt that it was lazy: a poor assumption on their part.

Aside from graduation I had the chance to go out and experience Laramie nightlife. In a word: Awesome. Don’t get me wrong, NYC is great, but a massive Grey Goose martini should cost way more than 6 bucks. Enough said. I have a new vice and it comes in the form of a frosted bottle.

Update: Before I hear about how Martini's must be made with Gin, I could not agree more. Sometimes you just need a variation. For the record, nothing is going to beat Bombay Sapphire, dry, a little dirty with 3 olives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home